Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Scream, scream...David Tennant and Catherine Tate


Interesting day.  Bruce went to run and I had breakfast at the hotel and then went for a walk.  We both ended up choosing the same places to be, although we didn’t see each other.  It was a beautiful day with blue skies, a cool breeze and NO RAIN!!!  We decided to meet up about three to get ready for the theater.
I went to Regent Park,  which is a lovely green area with soccer fields, a duck pond, the London Zoo and some formal gardens.  I spoke with several gardeners who said that a lot of what they have in the garden are perennials, but one of the main gardeners said sometimes they get space to do special projects and her group of gardeners had planned an herbaceous garden that was just around the corner.  There were large green spaces, beds of green as well as purples and reds, bright splashes of oranges and yellows as well as whites.  The spray of the formal fountains added to the beauty of the park.  People ran and strolled around the park.  There is a fabulous energy to the place.  
I also went to Queen Mary’s Royal Garden which is full of over 30,000 blooms and I think 600 species.  Amazing!  I strolled slowly, seeing which roses had the greatest fragrance.  There is another pond in the middle of this garden, full of different ducks and wildlife.  I wrote down descriptions of the ducks and birds so that I can find out what they are.  
In the middle of the pond there is a small island that contains a Japanese Garden, that isn’t as calming as one would expect.  They have built a waterfall to the side of the island that can be heard all over.  The water foams over the stones, rushing it’s way to the bottom.  A smaller brook trickles more peacefully around the inner parts of this garden.  At another edge a black stone spread-winged hawk poses to strike, beak open.  (The ducks nest peacefully under his open beak.)  There are beautiful willows, their green hair towering in graceful garlands over the pond.  I found a stone to sit and enjoy the beauty.
Continuing on, I went to 22 Baker Street, where I almost went into the Sherlock Holmes Museum, but didn’t go because the queue was too long.  The gift shop was fun to visit.
Stopped at a lovely pub for lunch, where I was able to buy a large meatball sub sandwich with a half pint of lager.  The staff was quite friendly.  I was only able to eat half the lunch so I took the rest back to Bruce.  
Bruce spent all morning at St. Regent’s park, too, and then went to St. Pancras Station, where they filmed the Railway Station for Harry Potter both inside and out.
We got all dressed up for a special night.  My heart was beating in my chest a mile a minute as I got ready.  We were going to see Much Ado about Nothing in London’s West End Theater District.
We left at 5:00 and took a taxi down.  Bruce had us pick up our tickets right away and tried without success to wangle a special meeting with David Tennant.  He even spoke with the Stage Door Manager.  
While waiting for the theater we stopped at an outdoor table at an Italian Restaurant:  the food was amazing, the wait staff very attentive.  While we ate we watched the flow of people rush by, a babble of languages, colors and gender orientation.  Everyone was enjoying a Friday night out in London’s theater district which was flashing with marquee colors and delicious with the smell of different foods.
We walked down Charing Cross road to find Jersey Boys, so we could book tickets.  We will probably go back there on Sunday at 5:00 to see if we can snag some.  After talking with the box office people there, it was time for the performance of Much Ado About Nothing.
We had second row seats in the intimate Wydnham theater.  The first row was so close to the stage you had to crane your neck and could touch the stage.  I was so excited to see one of my favorite actors so up close and personal.  
The curtain opened with Catherine Tate who handled her part beautifully and with great wit.  David Tennant comes on stage with a roar, driving a golf cart load of officers to meet with the person who owns the home.  Every single person in the play was excellent.  I have to say it was a great ensemble cast, and though many people’s attentions were on Tate and Tennant, everyone had a moment in which they commanded the stage.  Of course David and Catherine had great interplay with each other, but definitey it was not the David of Doctor Who or Catherine as Donna the companion.  Benedict has a large role in the play, as does Beatrice, so there was no lack of those two stars as the play went on.  The staging was very fresh and contemporary.  I was within 5 feet of David and Catherine many times during the play.  There was one scene with Benedict in drag as Miss Piggy and David seemed to enjoy hamming it up to the hilt.  Catherine Tate was in another in which she is listening to the others talking about Benedict’s love for her and she gets hoisted by a hook up to the ceiling while the others pretend not to see her.    Both actors are much as you see them on television, and yes, David is as cute as you think and plays the role quite energetically and charismatically.  He and Catherine work quite well together.  I had read one review in which Miss Tate was chided for not having the depth to play the tragic part of the play, but I think she did quite well as of course did Tennant.
Because everything was done so well Bruce had a great time too.  I found myself enjoying all of the play and each performer was wonderful.
At the end of the play, Bruce stood by the side while I wormed my way into the crowd at the back of the theater who were trying to see David Tennant and  Catherine Tate.  No one was pushing in on them, everyone was waiting respecfully.  I asked people if I could come in closer, as I had a program to get signed and they let me get in arm’s reach.   Unfortunatelly, I could only see the tops of their heads but each actor graciously autographed my program.  The actors who played Don John and Hero rushed by, looking like they did not wish to be bothered, but I was able to get signatures from many of the other actors.
We ended the night with pastries and coffee across the street from the theater.  My program is now residing in our hotel room safe until we leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment